Saturday, September 17, 2011

Summary of Teacher Blog Post #1 & #2

Numbers





For my first teacher blog assignment, I was to view and comment on a teacher named Elvira Deyamport. She teaches in the gifted program at her school and teaches an enrichment program in Spanish.

The first time we blogged with each other, I commented on a site that she had developed for teachers of gifted students. The name of the site is The Gifted Teachers Exchange Wiki.  It is a great site for teachers to collaborate and share resources. Teachers are encouraged to upload content and contribute to the resource library. I thought it was such a great idea and very important for teachers to have a special place to share ideas on how to best meet the needs of the gifted students.  I told her I would recommend her site.  She told me that they have a huge following on Skype and she thanked me for spreading the word.

I also viewed her blog post about  "Math Skype Buddies".  The students played a place value number game with another class via Skype.  Each student was given a job.  They even made a video of the game being played by the two classes and posted it with their blog.  I really enjoyed watching the video and you could really see the idea in action and you could tell that the students were really learning and enjoying themselves.  I thanked her for sharing the fun learning game and the video.  She also shared a link for some ideas for math games.
Mega-Fun Math Games: 70 Quick and Easy Games to Build Math Skills by Dr. Michael Schiro and Anna Walker 
She told me that the class really had fun and they looked forward to playing more learning games via Skype throughout the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment