Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blog Post #6


This week we viewed a video online called "The Networked Student" by Wendy Drexler. 

 You can view it at:

                                 http://youtu.be/XwM4ieFOotA

The “cartoon style” video demonstrated how students are learning today.  Students today are learning on line through the method of connectivism.  Connectivism is a theory that learning can occur through social networking using many diverse connections and ties. 


The video explained how a student could learn about a particular subject matter by using many different internet tools.  The tools suggested were:                                             


PLN’s;  Google scholar;  social bookmarking sites;  blogs;  reader tubes to manage blogs updates;  Skype;  posted videos;  voice threads;  wiki;  etc.

 The teacher’s job is to offer support and guidance to the students.  The teacher shows the students how to build a network and how to communicate effectively.  The teacher also trains the students to differentiate between good information and propaganda.  She helps them with resources and web searches and shows the students how to organize their information.


I found the video to be very helpful and informative.  I can see that this could definitely be the “new way” of learning in the classroom.  This method is a great tool for learning, but I feel it is only appropriate for the older students.  I have not really seen anything that I feel is geared towards the younger grades.  Hopefully, in this class, we will get an opportunity to see some “technology at work” with younger students.




Personal Learning Network



Secondly, we viewed a seventh grade student’s personal learning environment (PLE).   I was very impressed to see her PLE.  She had many different sites to help her learn.  She also had everything very organized.  She mentioned several times that she has to manage her time wisely in this student centered learning environment. 

I can definitely learn a lot from this student as I compare her PLE to my PLN.  I do need to do a better job of organizing my PLN.  I also need to make my PLN more meaningful to me.  I need to add more things that I am interested in, so that I will continue to use my PLN when I am through taking this class!

1 comment:

  1. Your link - The Networked Student - does not work. The URL is incomplete and wrong. A URL cannot be The Networked Student which is what you have. It must be the URL to which a click should take you. See the Activities Instruction Manual.

    "This method is a great tool for learning, but I feel it is only appropriate for the older students." What do you mean by older. Please send me an email with your answer. You won't qualify for a surprise but I may involve you in a Skype session depending on your answer.

    Wit until we visit the first grades of Jenny She and Kathy Cassidy to establish your position on "the early grades"!

    "...so that I will continue to use my PLN when I am through taking this class!" That's what we hope for: PLNs that will be modified and used throughout your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete