Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blog Post #4

If a dog can do it...anybody can do it!










I have just been viewing and reading several blogs about podcasting.  I am so glad to have this assignment because I have a podcast project due very soon for my EDM310 class.  I have never heard or seen a podcast, so I found these assignments very helpful!

First, I viewed:
Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog   This site showed many examples of classroom children using podcasts.  The kids were quite good at podcasting.  You could tell how much they were improving with every podcast.  You could also see how much information they were learning about the subject matter of each particular podcast.  The children were also able to use their creative abilities.  It was very interesting to see podcasts in action and it truly is a positive learning tool.

Next, I viewed:
Judy Scharf Podcast Collection    This site went into detail about how to create and use podcasts in the classroom.  It was kind of like a tutorial and I found it to be very helpful for the classroom teacher.  There were also many links that were available for further assistance.  I know I will be referring back to this site often while I am working with my group on our podcast.

Lastly, I viewed this site by Joe Dale:
The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom  This video described the benefits of using podcasts in the classroom.  Mr. Dale gave many examples of how helpful podcasts are for the students, as well as, for the teachers.  For instance, students can listen to classroom podcast and get information and assignments when they are sick at home.  Podcasts are also a great tool for parents to keep up with their children and what they are learning in the classroom.  Podcasts are always available and they can go with you anywhere.  Plus, podcasts are relatively inexpensive and easy to make and can be a fun and  interesting activity to do with your students. 

So, if it is this easy.......then..... maybe..... I can even do it!




4 comments:

  1. I bet you can! I loved the picture of the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy! I enjoyed reading your summary. You pointed out that the students doing the Eagles' Nest Radio improved with each podcast. That is something I did not notice before, but now that you mention it, you're right. They did perform better with each consecutive podcast.

    On Judy Scharf's presentation, I agree with you 100 percent. The links were extremely helpful and I will definitely be referring back to her site often while working on our podcast as well.

    I did not view Joe Dale's podcast review, but you say he demonstrates how children can keep up with their assignments if they miss class and I think that is an excellent idea. Having this available to parents will be very helpful too, because they will know exactly what is going on in their child's class and be more equipped to help them, if needed. And I said the same thing at the end -- maybe I can even do this! Well, we will be doing this, actually!

    So, normally I would email you any corrections, but you have so few, and the mistakes are so minor, I'll just do it here (feel free to let me know if you'd rather me email you corrections in the future). Again, your summary of these sites was excellent. There were some instances, though, where you should have written "podcasts" (plural) instead of "podcast," such as every "podcast" in the Joe Dale summary, the first "podcast" in the Scharf summary, first sentence of Eagles Nest summary and "podcasting" should be used in the last sentence of Eagles Nest. Also, last paragraph of Dale summary, "any where," should be "anywhere." You may just want to keep an eye on the singular/plural "podcast" usage. Great job overall, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    I also enjoyed your summary and agree with the others that your writing had very few mistakes. I really don't like giving any criticism especially to a teacher!! Anyway for the sake of the class I would like to give you a little hint that one of the lab assistants gave me. She told me to type my summaries in word first so any small grammatical errors would show up there and could be fixed. Then you can copy it to your blog after all corrections are made. Just a suggestion, I thought your blog was very well written and I agree about Joe Dale's review. That was one of the ones I read also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plural of podcast is podcasts. You need to proofreader!

    I am glad you found help in these assignments for your EDM310 podcast. That's what we intended!

    ReplyDelete